Sunday, August 24, 2008

Red Carnations - Love and Sacrifice in the Civil Rights Movement

by Fance Hector-Henderson

Unbelievable!!! I never thought I would be standing in this huge center. The center was all about such an amazing King. Unlike an ordinary center, the King Center was all about the deep history of segregation, inequality and the true facts about how people worked to stop segregation. When I walked in I knew right away that Dr. Martin Luther King was going to be the highlight of the whole entire center. Not only were the historical facts provided but physical belongings were also there to give people a visual of what happened. For example, I would read a brief text about Dr. King doing a speech or a sit-in and what he wore that day would be alongside the text. Like most people, I had a moment within the center when I almost broke down in tears. The red carnations story that I read posted in a glass case about Coretta Scott and Martin Luther King was so deep and serious. You would not know how serious it was unless I re-told you the story. So here I go:

Every day Dr. King came home from work, he would bring his wife, Coretta Scott King, flowers that were alive. Dr. King was a hard working man who traveled a lot. One day he told his wife that he would be heading to the Lorraine Motel for a march in Memphis. When Dr. King got to the motel, he did something strange. He sent his wife flowers as usual, but what was not usual was the fact that the red carnations were fake for the first time. Corretta knew something was strange about this but she did not know exactly what. She said later that Martin gave her fake carnations because he they would have to last for a very long time. It seemed as if he knew his death was coming. He would be shot the next day.

No comments: