Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Learning from a current civil rights activist - Ms. Tufara Waller-Muhammad

by Randy Grosvenor

Today we did a lot of driving which was very tiring. We also met “Tuffy” (her nickname) in Tennessee. She talked to us about a lot of the events that were going on in Highlander. For example she talked to us about how Highlander got started and about its purpose. I enjoyed it because I found out things like how Rosa Parks attended a class at Highlander before she was arrested and started the bus boycott. I like the conversation a lot because a lot of what was said changed my point of view on a few things. I like the fact that she took the time to tell us about how it was for her growing up in Arkansas. In addition, I bleive that Tuffy is a good influence because she is an actual living proof of turning your life around. I think her story would help change people’s point of view because she’s been through a lot as she was growing up. She talked to us about popular education and participatory research. Popular education is when you use what people already know and bring your information to their level so that they can understand what you are trying to teach them about. Participatory research is when you go out and get information from people in the community. These things were important to me because they are part of the work that I am doing now. I feel like I got more educated on these things so that I can come back to Boston and educate other people on this. Tuffy taught me a lot of things in a short matter of time. That’s what made our time with her fun and easy.

No comments: